Improve your skills
Personal Performance Awards
Our sea kayak award course is based at our base at Milia beach in Skopelos, Greece.
We do offer set dates for these courses but we have also found that many people enjoy combining this course as part of their holiday.
Feel free to contact us with your preferred dates.
The PPA course is recommended to run over a minimum of 3 days with a 2-day Training followed by a separate 1-day Assessment.
Sea Kayak Awards
The Sea Kayak Award endorses your skill, judgment and the decision making required for a successful day on the sea. You will be confident in planning and undertaking journeys on the sea, in winds up to and including force 3 and/or tides up to 1 Knot, using sea kayaks or sit on tops, in tidal or non-tidal environments, with proficient skills to be in control throughout. Your award should be seen as a sound basis for building the experience and knowledge associated with Coastal Sea Kayak Award holders.
Coastal Sea Kayak Award
Your Coastal Sea Kayak Award endorses your judgment, decision making and expertise and requires a good understanding of paddling on the sea. You should be confident planning and undertaking journeys on the sea in winds up to and including force 4 and/or tides up to 2 Knots, in a sea kayak or specific sit on tops in tidal or non-tidal environments. Your confidence should be based upon both proficiency in skills and a broad appreciation of surroundings and environmental context. Your award should be seen as a sound basis for independently building the experience and expertise we associate with Advanced Sea Kayak Award holders.
Advanced Sea Kayak Award
As an Advanced Sea Kayaker, you will have extensive experience of paddling on the sea. Your experience will include paddling a wide variety of sea conditions with winds over force 4 and/or tides over 2 Knots, using sea kayaks in tidal or non-tidal environments, where you may make open crossings in excess of 2Nm, as well as travelling along the coastline.
- We start our sea kayak course by meeting at our base in Skopelos and go through the course details.
- Look at basic navigation theory.
- Choose equipment, we have sea kayaks from P&H, Seabird designs, Dag/RTM and Perseption. Paddles from Werner, Mitchell blades, Seabird and Celtic.
- Head off to the beach!
- Go through the skills required at sea kayak award standard in a sheltered area.
- Stop for lunch before going on a journey in the afternoon to practice in a realistic moderate water environment.
- Return to our base or the taverna for a beer and a debrief!
- Meet at our store and load up.
- Go through more skills, looking at rescues and rolling.
- Stop for lunch.
- Out again in the afternoon to practice, we will also look at navigating while on the water.
- Go over all the skills so you are ready for your assessment.
- Assessment day!
- We try to keep everything relaxed.
- Our assessment takes place while journeying as we find this is more realistic and helps you to relax.
The sea kayak award course has a lot of information and we recommend that spreading this course over more days leads to better results.
- Sea kayak award
- No available
- British Canoeing coastal navigation and tidal planning course is an optional extra
- Kayaks from P&H, Perseption, Dag/RTM and Seabird
- Paddles from Mitchell blades, Seabird and Celtic
- Buoyancy aid, neoprene spray deck, towlines, navigation equipment and helmet.
- Lunch is buffet style prepared fresh each day, we try to use local produce as far as possible including fresh fruit, vegetables, bread. We can also cater for special dietary requirements such as vegetarian and gluten free.
- Drinking water.
- Mask and Snorkel.
- We also bring a waterproof camera to capture the action! We then send the photos to you by email at a later date.
- Prices include a buffet style lunch and your kayaking equipment
- First aid, communication and safety equipment is carried by your coach
- For 2 days training and 1 day assessment the price is 350 euro per person
- If you would like to take also the coastal navigation & tidal planning course the total price is 450 euro per person
- Maximum of 6 people per course